Sunday, January 14, 2007

Once upon a time in New York City

I'm finally here.

Our flight was a bit late on Saturday - due to ice on our plane. Once we got here, D and I took a taxi to our dorm. Let me tell you, we had quite a bit of luggage :) After N helped us move everything inside, we signed in with R and made our way to our rooms.... which are huge. Seriously, everything you hear and see about New York is a tiny little room with tiny bathrooms. Oh no my friend, I have a rather large closet -- twice as big as what I had at school. No shelves though, that's a bummer. Two tall windows, high ceilings, a big bathroom. I share the room, but there's room to share. My roommate, V, is pretty cool. Tomorrow we are off with D and N to check out our jobs, see Times Square, and do a bit of wandering.

So far, I've seen the area around our dorm, Target, our school building (aka a Chinese Nazarene church), and places along the way. -sidenote: the target is two stories and insane; seriously it feels like a mad sale is going on and everyone has rushed there. I guess it's just a big city feel, but crazy. The cool part is the escalator for the carts.. hard to explain but it takes your cart to the second story while you ride another escalator.- Tonight was our first stop in Manhattan, other than that it's been Brooklyn baby. I'm ready to check out more of the city, it's just been a lot of getting settled, grocery shopping, getting my internet working and figuring out how I'll afford food ;)

Brooklyn Heights is just as pretty as the pictures. Well, a the drizzly days are not helping too much, but it is still nice, very calm. The weather has been warm, though a bit wet. It has been a bit chilly at times, but not near as cold as I was expecting. I know it's been a warm winter so far, but I think the whole city is waiting for a change.. they're just expecting a crazy switch one day, going from 55 to below 0. We shall see.

I guess that's about it. I've met just about everyone here - they all seem pretty nice. Tomorrow we have another meeting to group us all together, and Tuesday is the big day -- I'll start my internship and school starts.

That's all for now, sorry I'm not bursting full of exciting details... I've yet to meet (as Meagan says) "my future" or any celebrities or see anything really famous... so far, it feels like London with cute little restaraunts, stores, etc. Maybe tomorrow there will be more...

No comments:

Post a Comment