Monday, January 15, 2007

Goodnight New York

Today.. I discovered New York.

I took the subway into work today. I found out that using the right directions is key to getting where you want to go. First I used the directions to get from Times Sq to Chelsea Market (my destination, after getting into manhattan), after realizing I did a bit of backtracking and was fine from then on out. My work is located right next door to a starbucks :) No they are not on every corner, almost, but not quite. Also, it's not a terribly busy part so the getting around was easy.

After taking a couple pics I headed down to Bryant Park, which I am in love with, and walked to Times Square. I met up with D at the Starbucks across from the Hershey building, it opened on Friday and the barristas were uncommonly friendly and fun. After sitting for a bit we walked down to the New Amsterdam Theater and then met up with the other girls. For lunch we took the subway to Chelsea and found the market.. Actually we did a bit of walking and finally stopped to ask a girl where it was. Little did we know it was the very cool looking building we had walked past a few blocks back. I really liked the modern design on the outside, but the signs were nondescript.. so anyway, we made it back there. It is a very neat building holding many little cafes, the market, a few bakery's, a florist shop, oh! oxygen network.. and my grandfather's favorite - Emeril Live. Yes the famous chef was just above my head... I think, or he was behind the shops we went into.. Somewhere around there... The VIP line was already forming by the time we finished and were leaving. Anyway, needless to say we enjoyed Chelsea.

This evening was the highlight. After perusing a few webistes I found the Brooklyn Independent Cinema was doing a showing of two films at Barbes, a pub just a bit farther into Brooklyn. So the four of us hopped on the subway and... couldn't find the place. At first, because of the article we read, we thought we were looking for an actual theater. So after walking we asked some folks and they pointed in what happened to be the right direction... still lost.. another guy stopped us, but was annoyed because we were looking for what apparently wasnt a popular place... finally we ran into a few guys who just happened to be going to the showing.. finally. :) We got there in time for standing room only, but at least we made it inside. The first film was Vacationland. It was excellent. It was just under 30 minutes, but afterwards the director, Lance Edmands, and his main actor went to the front for a Q & A time. I love independent films and this was definitely intimate, the room was probably 12X20 or so. Anyway, we think we'll become regulars there..

Ok my big day starts tomorrow so I'm off to bed. Goodnight folks :)

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe. Oh to be your age and be in your shoes. I will live this experience vicariously through you....and love every minute of it. Love you dearly. Mamalu

    ReplyDelete