Monday, June 2, 2008

Trying to slow down.. and figure out life.

Sometimes, new isn't always best or good.

I'm starting to figure that out.

I've always embraced the new. But then again, I've been running towards it most of my life. I have moments where I stop and embrace the present, but usually I'm looking forward to the future, to what's next.

Let's take graduation. I was so excited to be done. I hated half of my classes and I just wanted to never study again. But I'm through and I still have a mile-long list of things I have to do that never seems to get done. And while I was ready to move on to the next chapter in my life, I barely realized or accepted the fact that it probably wouldn't include most of my friends. I forgot about the fact that my summer roommate moving in meant my little sister was moving out. I didn't take into account how far away some states are or how unlikely it is that I'll actually make that roadtrip to see that person, even if I really want to.

So yeah, my future holds new faces, new places and lots of promise.. But I'm starting to wonder if I'll run right through it as well.

How do you slow down when you're so used to running? Can you really switch to a marathon or relay from a 100 meter dash?

The other scary part.. When I have slowed down, it came with heartache in some form or fashion. I don't want heartache. And while some new things on the horizon are interesting and tempting.. They're also scary.

How do you know you're making the right choice? What if you choose one thing and in the process miss something better? I know you just have to take a chance sometimes, but that is sometimes.. what about the other times? How do you know when to take a chance and when not to?

So life goes on. Perhaps at a slower pace. I don't want to miss anything, I want to enjoy the friendships and the life I currently have, but I don't want to go at such a speed that everything becomes a blur in the end.

I think I'll take up jogging. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment