Sunday, September 21, 2008

Missing city life...

I did a bit of celebrating for my birthday today. After church I went shopping with my best-friend and used some birthday money to buy a couple of things for work and for my sister's birthday - we're only a few days (and years) apart. Shopping cures all for me. It's one of the few ways in which I'm an a-typical girl. Aftwards I met a friend and my parents for dinner and games at Dave and Busters. I'm a sucker for skee ball and anything that wins me tickets. What great joy than having 1000 tickets to get all the crap you never wanted? Like an LED ring, something you would wear to a rave, or a Cinderella key chain. But it's all part of the fun :)

On my way home from D&B I had a craving for something sweet. I had the idea to grab a shake at the McDonalds just around the corner from my sister's apartment, but at 9:10 p.m. their lights were off. In fact, everything but Wal-mart and Steak n Shake seemed to be closed but as I was on the opposite side of the street, I decided to check out the local H-E-B.

In north Dallas, local H-E-B's are a bit different than in Waco, especially this one which is a Central Market. Instead of your typical supermarket, there is one entrance. As you are greeted by a fresh array of fruits and vegetables, you begin to weave your way throughout the store which is set up to take you by every aisle before once more arriving at the front to checkout. It really is ingenious, a great marketing tool, though it was a bit frustrating as I just wanted some ice cream. But all was good after I found my favorite Ben & Jerry's - AmeriCone Dream. Quite seriously, though, Central Market is a fabulous store. It's similiar to Whole Foods, which I love as well. It holds a fabulous array of wine and out of season flowers. The flowers I know about because we went there last summer to get tulips for a wedding- definitely not a hot summer Texas flower.

In short, my little adventure to satisfy my sweet tooth proved that living in Dallas does not neccessarily mean I live in a city. My sister's address may say Dallas, TX but her neighborhood is just a reflection of suburbia just off a major highway. Everything here is so spread out. I was just discussing with a friend at lunch today that I knew where hubs of activity were in Houston, San Antonio and Austin, I'm just ready to find it in Dallas. Not just the occasional concert downtown.. Is there any part of this town that stays awake past 10 p.m. on a normal, non-holiday day? I just miss the business, day and night. Even if I don't want to do anything, it's just knowing that I can... ultimately... it's not New York. I guess that's what I miss the most.

Hopefully you've found a place to live that makes you fully happy :)

Love God, love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment